I found the problem" It was a bad rotor.
This was, as always in combination with other things like oily points,= a dirty connection on both ends of the coil wire.
I just replaced the whole works and it runs great.
I've never had a rotor to fail so I was somewhat confused about the symptoms.
Thanks to all for your dedicated analysis.

Stan Wilder