I've got seven years of experience scavenging parts from auto wrecking= yards and from my experience anything above 83 could have a plastic engine= compartment lid but I find Vanagons as late as 87 that have metal lids. I believe that Chris has a boatload of metal engine lids at a very cheap = price if you want one (probably less than the UPS to get it to you).
In short: you might find about either type depending on who the = previous owner was. I've seen several Air Cooled lids with fire signs but I've never= seen a WaserBoxer with fire signs.
The metal lids are considerably heavier than the plastic lids but I = can't tell you the difference in weight, I'd guess steel at 29 pounds and plastic= at about 10 pounds.

Stan Wilder
83 Air Cooled Westfalia