Date:    Mon, 19 Nov = 2001 00:04:59 -0800
From:    Mark Sheflo <
skjeflo@HOME.COM>
Subject: Re: Instaling an auxiliary battery

| = There is no way anyone is going to install a battery behind the driver's
| seat = because of the steering wheel in the way of turning around the seat
| = properly expose the battery compartment. Unless you radically = mutilate
your
| vanagon.

    Hmmmm.....seems to me that the = funny looking yellow top battery that I
installed in the well behind the = drivers seat of our Westy said Optima on
it.

    Had a = choice of slight modifications to make, either notch the steel
baseplate of = the seat in two spots (to lay the battery on its side) or cut
two holes in the = cover for the posts to stick up through (my choice in the
end, due to a = lack of cutting tools!).  No radical moves needed!

Mark
82 Westy