hi folks,
im installing a rebuilt steering rack = into my 85 vanagon westy.  im sort of still stuck at the beginning of the procedure.  the rebuilt rack comes with tie rods.  so, my = initial thought was to simply detach the tie rods on the existing unit from the = metal housing of the ball joint that they connect to.  the only trouble = is i cant get the tie rods to turn relative to this ball joint housing for the = life of me. the connection probably hasnt been undone since 85 and is seized up = good.  anybody done this job, and have recommendations on how to get some good = leverage to bear here?  also, another alternative is to remove the ball = joint from the knuckle, and then try to separate the ball joint from the tie rod = once i have the whole thing removed.  although even in this scenario i = have to get the darn things apart ...
-steve and buster =