What you're looking at is a junker!
An 87 Syncro just sold here in Dallas Texas with a wonderful clean = body, great CD ROM stereo, Mercedes 15" wheels, AC and all in all a great = buy for $2000.00, that's right. I've still got the pictures if you want to P-mail = me, but of course its gone.
I just turned down an 89 Vanagon, Wolfsburg Edition with OEM mags, AC = and all in all a beautiful vehicle here in Dallas Texas for $800.00
If you're new to the Vanagon world you'll find out that Vanagons in = Texas do not have resale value worth a darn.
The story is different with Westfalias if you can find them, the same = year Westfalia will bring two to five thousand dollars more and the range from = 80-91 year models. The 83.5 was a water cooled but I see you're looking at an 82= watercooled with a 1.9 litre engine.
Hold out for a Westfalia, wheather you go with Air Cooled or Water Cooled.
Oh! By the way, Vanagon air conditioners seldom work that well. I can'= t say but thats what everybody says. Never had AC on a Vanagon so I don't have a= personal opinion.

Stan Wilder
83 Westfalia Air Cooled.