Eric,

The engine number is stamped into the engine in the general area indicated in Bentley.  The fact that you have the bottom mounted micro switch negates the need to know the engine number to get the correct switch.  You have the later version dual purpose or combined switch.  As far as I know there were only two versions of the '85 (US model) -- the two switch model and the combined switch.  Ordering one from either Ken (vanagain.com) or Ron (busdepot.com) will save some money and (in my experience) increase your chances of getting the correct part.

Chuck
'85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'

In a message dated 11/20/01 2:55:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Date:    Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:25:17 -0800
From:    Ethan Kiermaier <epik0@YAHOO.COM>
Subject: '85 engine number

I was wondering if anyone could give me specific
instructions on finding my engine number.  The Bentley
is very vague here giving only a simple drawing with
no reference.  The reason I need the number is because
i need to order a new idle/full throttle switch from
the dealer and there are apparently two styles made
for the '85.  I have done some research and found that
at the begining of the production year they were still
being made with the top mounted switches and then
switched the design once or maybe twice more before
the production of the Digifant.  My switch is the
bottom mounted, micro switch type.  Does anyone have
any advice in this direction, or (easier) know how to
find my engine number?
thanks

-=e=-
'85 Wolfsburg Weekender