The heater control panel also is just a push fit and can be carefully pried = out using a blade.  There are 4 posts locating it in the dash, one at = each corner of the panel.  (First hand knowledge of this recently, when = my van was broken into and the stereo ripped off; the a**hole damaged that = panel and levers in the process).

Graham
90 Vanagon Country homes camper
-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of S.C. Harrison
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 6:19 = PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: Heater/vent control panel/cigarette lighter illuminating lights...

It is actually fairly easy to = remove the cigarette lighter from the dash.

While it may not be the preferred = or only way of doing it, I have found that using a wooden or plastic wedge in a = prying motion around the circumference of the socket works well. IIRC, = the lighter is only a friction-fit situation, no pesky screws or other. Limited slack in the wiring, so when it finally gives = proceed with caution.

Just be patient and apply the = prying evenly.

Scott
82 Westy