From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Tom Stone
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 7:20 PM
To: = vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Strange problem with '91 Carat

I just returned from a = Thanksgiving week trip from central Illinois to Silverthorne, CO and back -- about = 2400 miles in all.  The van handled the job remarkably in most = respects.  Mileage was 17.7 mpg on the westward leg (uphill with an occasional = west wind) and 20.1 on the return (downhill with the same wind).  This fall, = I redid the valve adjustments and installed a new, more accurate fuel pressure = regulator.  I couldn't be happier with the mileage and = performance in general.

However, when driving for extended periods of time = with the cruise control on, I began to experience Vanagon syndrome.  = Sometimes just a little hiccup every now and then but occasionally a = gut-wrenching, rod throwing, valve sticking sensation that forced the foot to the clutch = pedal and that van to the side of the road while I listened for expensive noises.  I fiddled with turning the key off and coasting for a = few seconds and with varying the speed and that seemed to help so I'm = pretty certain it is Vanagon syndrome.  I have the info on how to fix = this with the tantalum capacitor so I'll attack it  before a trip to = Florida and back for Christmas.

Another problem occurred that I have not = seen mentioned on the list.  If, after sustained driving at speed with = the cruise on, I pulled off onto an exit ramp and slowed down, the van = would not rev smoothly.  It would idle, occasionally stall, and rev very = slowly regardless of the pedal position until it reached 3k or so and then it = would rev at higher rpms OK.  When I stopped for gas or to eat and the = van cooled down, it would rev OK until I got on the highway.  I said = "cool down" but the engine was not hot, the needle was mid point-between the = light and the marker on the cold side and the outside temperatures were in = the 30-60 range.  I don't think it was heat related.

Could = this be related to the Vanagon syndrome, which I understand is caused by = static electricity affecting the FI computer?  Both problems seemed to = go away when the engine was not running for 15 mins. or so.  I plan to = check the AFM tracks as well.  Any thoughts are = appreciated.

Tom
'71 Westy, '85 Westy, '91 Carat