Hi,

Some of you may remember a few = months ago when I mentioned we were having a baby and lived three hours from the hospital.

We were planning on staying nearer = to the hospital as the day approached, but things happened a few days sooner = than we had expected.  At midnight, of course, her water breaks.  We = call the midwife and she says to make our way in as a precaution,
as she is still not having = contractions.  Us, figuring that this is our first child and things would not be moving = along too fast, we take our time gathering things together.  It is a nice = clear night with no snow on the road (not normally so in Colorado in November) = so we decide to take the Westy so she can lay down in the back to relax and = get comfortable.

So off down the road we go about 2 = AM.  Soon after we leave some mild contractions start.  Still they are = pretty far apart and she is laying down in the back reading a book.  Lots = of elk on the road so I do not really push it.  About two hours into the = drive, the contractions start getting a bit more intense and closer = together.  She still seems to be holding it together and in not too much pain so she = says keep going.  As we approach the outskirts of  Grand Junction, where = the hospital is located,  she finally admits that she is ready for the = pain medication.  So I fly through the pre-dawn city to the = hospital.  Pull up to emergency at 5 AM.  Grab a wheel chair but she wants to = walk.  Up in the maternity ward at 5:10 AM, they tell her she is fully dilated = with no time for the pain medication.  At 5:30 AM our son Carter James = Andrew is born!

So he came within a half hour of being a Vanagon = baby!  Would have had to have come up with a Vanagon related name if that were = the case!

So once out in the world, he got his first ride home = in a Vanagon.  And of course it had snowed two feet at home since we = left so the trip home took four hours.

It is good that the weather conditions were not = reversed or the Westfalia Mobile Birthing Center may have had to have been put into use!

John Andrew 1984 "Westiico"