I thought I would share this with = the group. jimmary@softcom.net asked me this question in a recent = private mail when he found out I had a Lazy Daze and sold it now owning a Vanagon. = "You had a Lazy Daze and now a Vanagon - how come the switch.? LD is considered the = Rolls of motorhomes."

My answer is this: First if you = are considering buying a larger motor home don't do it unless your ego is = really there and you want to live in it for extended periods of = time.

How many large campers, or = seagoing boats or lake pleasure boats have you seen sitting in driveways? How many = truck camper shells have you seen sitting there also using up that driveway space? Or = how many people have had to cut a special gate into their back yards to = store the large camper or boat?

The Lazy Daze gas mileage alone = (and most small Campers too) was only 5 to 7 MPG. And my Lazy Daze was only = 22 feet long. (Many get only 3 MPG.) It was not practical as an every day = transportation vehicle, or for grocery shopping and such. Great for camping (about once = or twice a year) but that is about it. The Lazy Daze is like a large boat. = You take it out a few a year to justify owning it (except at first when = it is a new toy) or use it as a guest room then it sits in the driveway and = depreciates.

Sure you have a full bathroom and = shower, but my Vanagon has a port-a-potty and a shower bag I can hang from the = roof when I am not at a campground.

Large home owners may look down = on the Vanagon Camper but I assure everyone we have a way superior vehicle. = Way, way superior. The Vanagon, gets good mileage, is versatile, can go almost = anywhere, functions as an office, a kitchen, a dining room, a bedroom, a living = room, a cargo vehicle, and you can get up and go at the drop of the hat. And it encourages you to enjoy the outdoors and fresh air, picnics and such = instead of being in the motorhome watching TV and using the microwave.

The large motor home is a real = chore to get going, can not maneuver well, needs special handling skill, is a gas = guzzler, hard to park, needs special parts, blocks traffic, is slow uphill, = irritates drivers behind it, and on and on. AND worst of all it sits in your = driveway most of the time baking in the sun.

And here is the real kicker. My Vanagon on the resale market is worth TWICE what the = Lazy Daze could get today.

How do you like those = apples?

William