There is a copper version of the Nylock nut--looks cool, works great, doesn= 't melt.
tx,
bmc  :)
"Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."<= BR>

From: Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:35:36 EST
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Re: Missing Exhaust bolts

In a message dated 11/28/2001 4:43:08 PM Eastern= Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Re: Missing Exhaust bolts

      This problem of the stainless steel bo= lts coming loose is quite common.  I have found that by using Nylock nu= ts solves the problem.  The nylon locking device does melt somewhat but= will keep the nut from coming loose and you will be able to undo the nut if= you need to but you will need to use a new nut afterwards.  If one cou= ld find an all metal stainless steel lock nut that would be much better. &nb= sp;We have tried all kinds of hardware suppliers with no luck.  One oth= er soloution is to double nut the bolts, locking one nut againt the other. &= nbsp;
      Another reason the bolts coming loose = is that the doughnut gaskets, especially if your using fiber ones, crush dow= n after time & heat, and cause the bolts to come loose.  We have fo= und that by inserting a steel sleeve in the doughnut gasket will solve this = problem.  All doughnut gaskets now being shipped with the STEBRO/Vanago= n Stainless Steel Exhaust Muffers & J-pipes <http://members.aol.com/F= kc43/stebro.htm>  are of this new improved type.  You can most = likely get a muffler shop in your area to make these up for you.

Peace

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
BusFusion <http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm>  a VW Ca= mper camping event, Almonte, ON, May 30, 31, June 1, 2, 2002
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List <http://www.vanagon.com/> , LiMBO <http://www= .bcn.net/~limbo/> , IWCCC <http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/CIW_English.asp&= gt;  & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers <http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/st= ebro.htm>
Frank Condelli & Associates <http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.h= tml>  or http://frankcondelli.com