I've been a 'list lurker' for about = 6 months or so and have seen many testimonials on the value of using the 'official = VW' or German oil filters. BUT I'd been successfully using ANYTHING that was = listed as a reasonable replacement for my Vanagons UNTIL today.

I decided to have my local VW dealer = change my oil and filter since they had a price that was lower than the drive = through outlets.

On the way home, which included a = stretch of 60 mph beltway, I noticed that my temp gauge was well below where it would = have been yesterday!!  The only thing that had changed was the oil and filter.  The oil was about the same as before (20W50 Valvoline) but = the filter was one of the 'approved ones'.  My temp gauge set to the right of the LED - not something that I would have = expected before.  And I don't think that I've ever had temp = problems.

So I assume that the difference is = the filter - what gives?  What's in that thing?  I'm beginning to = BELIEVE.  I asked the service rep about it just out of curiosity while the work was being done and he talked about multiple bypass = systems etc..  So do tell - What's so great about the official filter or = was I imagining things?

John Graham
'88 Westy
Charlotte = NC