G'day mates

Great to have the list up again.  I guess we = all appreciate the hard work done in locating = and fixing the problem and thank Chris and everyone for their efforts.

My '89 Transporter is doing its best to have its own = little problem.  It appears that the = clutch master cylinder is leaking quite a lot and needs a new cylinder or new seals.

[Late news:  I discovered that = there are no after-market manufacturers of VW Transporter parts in Australia and a = new  OEM VW clutch master cylinder cost $A245 ($US170)  = :-(    Even the supplier apologised for such an exorbitant cost .  = Luckily,  I can get  a reconditioned cylinder for $A45 ($US31)  from the = wreckers, so it's a recon cylinder winning by  a $200 = margin.]

Bentley maintains an aloof disregard for such trivia = as replacing  brake or clutch master cylinders.

After looking in the archives and = reading that  the whole dash panel has to be removed to gain access to the cylinder,  I've started to remove the dash.  So far I've stripped off the = following:-

Radio, CD player, A/c and heater outlets, glove box , various bits of trim = including steering column covers.

I'm now ready to remove the instrument panel but need to know whether  I  need to remove the = steering wheel and column and what else needs to be removed,  Also are there any  traps that the unwary home = mechanic should avoid?

I'd be pretty grateful to have the benefit of any = experience anyone has in replacing the clutch master cylinder.

TIA

Jack Newton

'89 Transporter Safari = Campervan

Sydney Australia

PS At least the weather is sunny and = warm at this time of the year down-under.