Good Morning-
Recently I posted a message asking about info on = bumping the performance of the waterboxer.  The response was nearly universal = "why bother". OK, so swaps seem to be the best choice.  I'd rather = see the swap use a VW engine and not require a year of trial and error re-engineering.  So, anybody tried a swap of a 2 liter 16V engine = from a Golf, Jetta or Passat?  I own a '92 Jetta 16V and the engine in = this thing is wonderful (after a swap of computer chip and a 2 1/4" = exhaust.  The stock engines with conservative tuning and pea-shooter exhaust are good = for 134hp.  I'd guess mine is closer to the euro-spec 150hp.

I'm thinking this would make the Vanagon a fun = ride.  Aren't the basics of this swap available from the inline 4 Diesel Vanagons?

A related question: what's anybody doing about = updating to a 5 speed tranny?  I understand that the stump pullers from the = synchros &/or diesels are not the answer.  How about the South Africa connection.  What are they currently putting in = Vanagons?

Good Weekend!

Gary