Yesterday I completed two projects = that have been nagging to be done since last fall.  Replaced the = "O" Ring on the oil cooler, and replaced the primary coolant tank.  =

Getting the oil cooler off looks easy, but what a = bear.  The space to work in is tiny and the two rubber coolant hose that go to = the cooler are: held on by inaccessible spring clips and are short, stiff = immovable rubber. With the *aluminum* oil cooler in hand I saw something = interesting- the connection tubes for the coolant hoses were corroded beneath the hoses; = small spots eaten away.  I am positive that this same oil-to-water cooler = is used in my Jetta.  It would be interesting to know if the fwd cars eat = the aluminum also.

Replacing the coolant tank was = pretty easy, but like many others I had replaced everything else first with no = success.  I have a new cap, coolant level sensor, 3 "O" Rings, still the = hot soak bubble over.  Tank removed- I finally saw the hairline cracks in = the plastic!  The listees that had mentioned this earlier where dead on.

Fifty mile test drive last nite.  No = Leaks!  Sometimes life is good.

Gary

'88 GL 96K
'92 Jetta GLi 92K