Back from a great trip to the Keys = from St. Pete.
Glad to say = that my 87 Westie (138000 odometer)  ran flawlessly for the 820mile round = trip, and burned about 1/4 qt of oil. Calculated mileage 18gph.

We took the scenic route from St. Pete, and = minimized our time on the Interstate.

-I75 south out of St. Pete, over the Skyway Bridge
-Jumped off of the Interstate just north of Ft. = Myers and headed east on Rt. 82 into
Immokalee.  South on Rt. 29, through the heart = of the Everglades, passing back over I75 and continuing south = to
the old Tamiami Trail (Rt.. 41) just north of = Everglades City.  This old road used to be the only way across the Glades, and = there is much more to look at and do along this road.  =
-My traveling friend had never been down there = before, so we stopped at an Indian reservation and took a quick airboat tour.
Touristy, yes....but a great way to see the glades = for the first time.
-Westward on 41 to Krome Ave,  just before = running into Miami (still in the glades)
-South on Krome through Homestead and Florida City = (gateway to the Keys).  Going through Homestead,  the effects of Hurricane = Andrew are still noticeable.
-Camped at the Southern Comfort Campsite in Florida = City (25.00 and so-so quality). It was getting dark and a drive down the Keys = at night is a waste.
-Fired back up at dawn and headed south on US1 down = the  end of the road.  Travelling the Keys has improved greatly since = the completion of many new bridges in the early 80's.
-Made it to Stock Island (just before Key West) in = 3.5 hours and hopped on a 38ft trawler and headed out back for 3 wonderfully = secluded days in paradise.
-The trip home was equally uneventful....nothing broke!
-should have photos up on my website in a couple of weeks

Regards to all

Dane Tessler
87 = Westfalia

http://members.aol= .com/Dane714/westfalia.html