Ken

I gave that thought but seeing most of us have a copy of Bentley or Haynes would it be of any value to us.

I only propose the idea of the microfiche because of the excellent detailed drawings available.  These diagrams show the exploded view of all components used in the Vans.  The part numbers would be of assistance but are not entirely necessary.  Then again they sure would not hurt.

The problem is copyright.  As these fiche are owned by VW their permission is required.  My idea is that if we approach them as a group of dedicated ( we must be ) and enthusiastic owners who are committed to their product surely they would give permission.  After all the proposed CD will be used for reference when repairing their product ( The Vans).

Possibly a good idea would be to approach VW of America and sell them on the idea.  That way they could approach the parent company and seek permission for us.  Down here in Oz it would be next to useless approaching our Headquarters.  You can not even get a part number out of them.

I have had a few private e-mail from the list members and some have expressed the idea that scanning the fiches is possible but time consuming.  After my effort with the Subaru engine swap I am not game to attempt this and I don't think so of you guys would want me to anyway.  If I try we will need about 10 CD to fit my effort onto.

Remember "Nothing is Impossible"   The idea of the archives on CD, and readily available is fantastic.  Coupled with the fiche diagrams not that would be something.

Ray Hunnam
keep the dream alive.

KENWILFY wrote:

Couldn't we just get in touch with Bentley and get permission to scan in
illustrations from thier manuals?  If you look in the Haynes they usually use
Bentley pictures so there has to be some way of getting permission and pages
are easier to scan than fiche.
What do you think?
Ken Wilford
John 3:16