These mounts are available both = after market  and through the dealer.  They are not very expensive = either way.  The dealer ones are much better than the ones made in = India.  They are a bit of work to change though, engine will have too be = supported and jacked.
Dennis
-----Original = Message-----
From: Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM = <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>
Dat= e: Sunday, April 12, 1998 10:13 AM
Subject: Mickey Mouse = Repair: Motor Mounts

While underneath our '88 GL = yesterday cleaning and re-lubing the shift linkage (seems I have to do it = annually ), I took a look at motor mounts which I have suspected to be in = trouble for some time.   We have had alot of "driveline = lash" which is best described as rubber banding of the van on sudden accel or decel.  Also have had intemittent clutch shudder.  I = expected to see the forward (tranny) mount tearing itself apart.  = Nope.  That one is fine. Must be the others at the rear of the engine.  = Look, wiggle, shake, yup, the rears have small separations in them.  = Can these be replaced?  Uh, looks like these mounts are a unit with = the entire cast aluminum engine plate.  Ka- Ching $$$$.  Must = be another way.

Decided that beyond the = separation of rubber from metal the rubber itself didn't look so bad.  Here's the = Mickey Mouse part.  I found 4 places where engine motion was being = permited by these separations.  Into these gaps I drove 4 handmade = polyurethane wedges.  The polyurethane originated with pink skateboard = wheels and was previously used to make racecar suspension bushings.  Cuts = easily with a hot knife.

Without getting into riduculous = detail, the gaps should be obvious to you if you shake the engine.  The way = to "lock" the wedges in should be obvious too. Sounds stupid = I know, but...  Boy the van feels much different.  The rubber = banding is gone.  No clutch shudder -yet.  It just feels much tighter.

If Mickey Mouse fails me in the future, I'll let = you know.

Gary
Redding, CT