Hello,

I have looked at an '86 Syncro = Weekender with 100,000 miles on it. I have a few concerns about a few observations I = made. During test drive the motor seemed strong, but at idle it runs a little = rough. I checked the driveshafts for play on all fours and found 2 1/2 " of = play on the passenger rear driveshaft. Driver side rear driveshaft has maybe = 1/2" play. Both front shafts have about 1/2" to 1 " play. Is this = normal??? The van has black tar like coating in the wheel wells and shock = assembly  (is this factory?), but underside is clean. Body is very good except for = a bit of surface rust. Interior is clean.
    Another concern = is the rear lock diff. I noticed that the vacuum knob on the dash was pulled OUT = which to my understanding engages the differential lock. I did not notice any tire = scrub on tight turns which should happend with this engaged.

Could any of you please give me tips and information = on these points before I commit??

Thank you
Ken Madsen, Toronto, Ontario
'87 Golf Diesel
'95 Jetta(Vento) VR6