For washboard ( I have logged thousands of miles on it) lower you air pressure to about 25-30 lbs...Yes, buy better shocks.  I would recommend Bilstiens.  The KYB are cheap, but they are junk when measured against a good shock like Bilstiens.  You will also need to tighten all the bolts holding down the westy stuff from time to time.  Make sure your side door is properly adjusted before you leave.  Be prepared for two flats.  Too often, when you get one flat in off road conditions, you get anothjer one at the same time or soon afterward.  The leak sealant stuff is usually useless...as are the cheapo compressors.  Bring an air pump or a good, expensive 12v. compressor...I also recommend an inner tube and tire irons if you go way out.
steve

Klaus and Sandy Hahn Hi All - Our first message...<<...>>

-We often go off road through the desert in spots with bad washboard and sometimes soft sand. Is there anything you can do to make the vehicle more suitable for off road travel? We were thinking maybe stiffer shocks and/or higher clearance. Is the Vanagon top heavy or wind unstable without more height?