The reason I ask is that I  - even though not being religous myself, other than having the faith in that my Vanagon´s gonna take me wherever I wanna go- have some friends who´re religious and they never bring their bibles- no matter what transportation!- since they know that they´re always able to find some at the local churc if they really need the advice from the book!
And since you mentioned the Bently as an alternative, I know that it´s not that bible!!
Well, it´s a free choice I guess , so some kind of litterature would probably be on my list too, since IF the Vanagon decides to cheat on me, I´ll have something to do while it´s mending!
YES, I suppose it to take care of whatever harm it does to itself!
And if this shouldn´t happen well, I guess that a toolbox wouldn´t be totally wrong even if what I´ve experienced this far the main use for this is to lend tools to other people since the Vanagon actually has fixed itself so far.
( the only real problem being the infamous "Digifant stutter" wich as you know only requiers an ignitionkey "off/on" -touch wood)
Ok, there we have two things :
#1 A good book ( why not a manual or a "How to survive..." book - or maybe a Steven King if you have a breakdown in the middle of the night, could be interesting reading under a fading flashlight!!!!)
#2 A well filled toolbox - no, dont bring the complete SNAP-ON kit,just the nessecities plus some spare parts (s.a. fanbelt,lightbulbs,some electrical vire and a bolt/nut assortement)
But what for number three?
Well, I guess that depends on weather conditions,a beverage cooler in the summer, shovel/ snow chains in the winter, a big I´m a man, not a moose sign during huntingseason a raincoat and a towingrope if it´s wet...............I guess I´ll leave that up to you to decide!
But okay, if you go camping, my third choice would probably be a hatchet and a box of matches!!!
Good luck!
Calle
-88 Vanagon
Mullhyttan, Sweden