-----Original = Message-----
From: Mark Thoma <TVReporter@stratos.net>
= To: Vanagon.@VANAGON.COM = <Vanagon.@VANAGON.COM>
D= ate: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 4:15 PM
Subject: IT'S ALIVE (and = it's a turbo-diesel) Chap 2. "The first tankful"

Hey volks,
If any of you care.  I just = filled the '82 turbo-d for the first time since the new engine.  Here's the = poop...it went 401 miles on 12.43 gallons of #2.  That works out to 32.2 = mpg.  Since I commute about 55 miles a day, most of that was on the interstate at an = average speed of 65 mph.  I rarely drive below 63 and rarely above 68 = (although the van runs just fine at 70 or 75 for that matter.)  Since this was = the first tankfull since the motor transplant, I was hotrodding (in as much as = that's possible with a turbo-diesel Vanagon) most of the time around town, and = trying to see what this thing was capable of acceleration-wise (not = much.)  The next tankful I'll drive more conservately and see what she'll do.  = At any rate the miles per gallon says I should have an easy 500+ range on a tankfull.  To be continued...
Mark Thoma

p.s. when the intercooler gets = hooked up I might even get an extra mpg or two!  Eat your hearts out = gassers.