Hey volks,
It seems to me that some of you are = confusing TDI's with TD's.
My '98 Jetta has a 1.9 TDI (turbo = direct injection) diesel.
My '82 Vanagon has a 1.6 TD (turbo = diesel) diesel. :-)
While I might find that 1.6 in a = boneyard for $1000, I doubt that I'd find the 1.9 in a boneyard for the same price = unless the guy who ran the boneyard was also a "bonehead".  The two = engines have almost nothing in common save the block design and the fact that = they're turbo'ed oil burners.  People who routinely talk about tweaking the = 1.9 TDI for more power must be independently wealthy, and willing to risk = blowing up a fine piece of German engineering.  Mind you Canadians were lucky = enough to see 1.9 TD's, which were larger displacement versions of the 1.6, but = once again (and I'm sure I'll be corrected on this if I'm wrong) the 1.9 TD bears = little resemblance (sic?) to the 1.9 TDI other than displacement.
Yours,
Mark = Thoma