Dear Vanagon Experts:

I bought an ' 82 Westy recently. = It's just swell. It has an A/C unit on the little shelf in the back. It does not = function. It blows its fuse when I put one in the proper slot when I turn the fan = on. What the hell. I live in the Northwest and have little need of A/C. In the = engine compartment, I found what I believe to be the compressor( pump? ) for = the A/C. It has a belt that drives it. My question is.....If I don't plan to use = it, can I just cut the belt. Would it improve engine performance? It also seems = it would be easy to remove the unit altogether. From the helpful postings on this = list, A/C seems expensive to repair and convert etc. I think I'd rather just = have the shelf storage unit with the speakers and the cabinet opening. Anyway, = I'd appreciate any advice on this. Maybe someone in a hotter climate area = might trade me for the non-A/C cabinet unit. Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry Parker
' 82 Westy ( " Himmelblau" = )