Volks friends,

I am having a continuing problem with my 82 = air-cooled, non-California (no O2 sensor) vanagon.
I wont waste the bandwidth going into the long = story, so I will synopsize:

Symptoms:
Outside temperature 80 deg F or less, engine starts = and runs fine.
Outside temperature 90 deg to 98 deg F (approx.), = engine runs very rich, smokes (black) and will not stay running.
Outside temperature 98 deg F or higher, engine runs = OK with a little grey smoke and acts like it cant settle on an idle = speed.

What I have checked and/or replaced:
Temp Sensor II (replaced twice)
Thermo-time switch (operates within Bentley specs)
AFM (checks within Bentley specs) (have tried two of = these)
Aux air valve (checks within Bentley = specs)
Cold-start valve (does not leak, checks within = Bentley specs)
Fuel injectors (good spray pattern, no leak by, = checks within Bentley specs)
New plugs, points, condenser, spark plug wires, = ignition coil
Fuel pressure checks within Bentley = specs

Remember, this is an 82 air-cooled = non-California.  It does not have a Hall sensor, idle stabilizer, O2 sensor or any other = calif pollution gear.

It is definitely heat related, but does not seem to = be affected by any changes in the temperature sensors.

The only thing I cant (and haven't) check, is the ECM.

Any constructive comments?

Chaz
'82 Westy "Peewee"
Brownfield, Texas

P.S.
Given the tone of some of the responses on the list = lately, If you dont have an 81, 82, or 83 air-cooled, or do not have experience = working on one of these, please do not waste the bandwidth and my time with your "guesses".  I don't need to be told how stupid I = am.  My wife does a good job of that already.

Chaz