OK
As some of you know, I have spent = the afternoon trying to run down a problem in the FI system on my 82 Westy.  = About 30 minutes ago, I had it running well and it had been idling for about 15 minutes.  Thought I might have lucked into a fix so I decided to = put the engine lid back on.  Kinda slipped with the lid and dropped the = leading edge on the deck just above the alternator.  Did not hit the engine = in any way.  The engine died.  Tried to start it back up and it began = to run rich and smokey again. (Aargh!)  Let it sit for about 5 minutes and = it started back up and idled with no problem.
Just for a fluke, I thought I might = try and re-create the incident.  Took my screwdriver and struck the deck in = approximately the same place.  Same thing happened.  = Eventually repeated the process two more times.  Each time, the same thing happened.

Close inspection shows that NO wires = run underneath that particular area of the deck.  The only thing close = is the license plate lights, and they are working fine.

The only thing I can think of is = that there is something loose in the ECM that is being effected by vibration.  = The ECM is the only thing close enough to even receive some of the = shock.

Has anybody heard about this = happening before?

Chaz
'82 Westy = "Peewee"
Brownfield, = Texas