I have a friend who bought a "salvaged" '90 GL which had a fire not near the engine compartment, but with the electrical fan in the front pass. area.  A feature not found on many air suckers.  I also had a close call with auto-tranny fluid dripping on my headers and cat. (yeah I know, what possessed me into buying an auto tranny?)

Marty Wallace wrote:

I don't know that I would declare <1983.5 VW Vans a "fire trap", but I do
think that their rate of engine fires is significantly higher than motor
vehicles in general.  Additionally, the rate of air-cooled VW engine
fires is << that of water-cooled VWs.  (Can anyone back me up or shoot me
down on this?)

If I had a choice (and, after looking at VW Campers for 10-15 years, I
DID buy a water-cooled model - for many reasons), I would buy a
water-cooled model.

I would like to read others' opinions as well.

Marty Wallace (1984 Westfalia)
Chico, California