Hey Volks,
I've got the diesel engine that came = out of my vanagon, sitting in the garage under plastic.  Here's the = deal.  When I pulled it, it ran good.  No smoke, no blow-bye (to speak = of).  It has either a bad head gasket (probable) or a bad head (improbable) or a = cracked block (very, very improbable.)   I was getting bubbles into = the coolant, but no coolant in the oil.  I drove the van for some miles = with this engine in it, and it never overheated, and seemed to run = fine!  Actually I think it's one of those Canadian rebuild jobs with very few = miles on it (that's what the girl told me who sold the van, and it has a sticker = on the block.)
NO IT DOESN'T COME WITH THE VANAGON = DIESEL OIL PAN!
But it does have the injector pump, = and a few other things.  I'll sell it for $100 bucks or whatever the highest = offer is.  Come and get it.
Mark Thoma        =