Hey Everybody,
There must be some kind of weird = alternator bug going around.  Mine is acting very strange.
I recently moved the battery from = the engine compartment to under the rear seat.  New heavy gauge  battery = cables, new battery, new belts etc.  Suddenly the new  voltmeter on = the dash starts giving strange readings.  When the van starts, I get 10 = volts, after it comes off idle, it will come up to 12 slowly, then after a few = seconds of higher rpm it will come up to 14 volts slowly.  If I turn the = lights on down to 13 volts.  If I turn the heater fan on down to 12 volts or lower.  Obviously if I hit anything else even lower.  Thinking = I had a bad alternator, I replaced the 65 amp model with a 90 amp Quantum alternator.  Same symptoms.  Thinking that maybe the primary = lead from the alternator to the battery was too small for the job I bought some 6 = guage multi-strand (1/4 inch in diamter) and soldered on some heavy copper lug = terminals.  Same symptoms.  The battery has a good ground to = the body, as does the alternator, and the engine itself.  Oh by the way, it's = not just the gauge.  When I turn on the lights at night, and then turn = on the heater fan the lights dim noticably.  I think with a 90 amp = alternator I ought to be able to power all the lights and heater fans I want and = still have juice to spare.  And one last thing, the local parts store tested = both alternators and their machine said they were operating just = fine.
ANY IDEAS?
Mark = Thoma
'82 intercooled turbodiesel Vanagon