A while back I posted a query on the = mailing list:
031150 = 96/06/18 22:36   BN4 Heater in Vanagon - Is it possible?

Well I finally got the heater in and it works = great.  I managed to exchange some work on the '73  Westy in return for the heater.  And what a deal that was.  The combustion can was = still gold, ie no blueing  (or rust!) so it was almost brand new!  I set = it up on a board and tested it and it fired up immediately and produced quite a = smoke screen as 25 years of accumulated dust burned off.

So I mounted it outside, parallel with the axles, = above the transmission.  I hung it from above (with the right orientation) = using the existing bracket with the two rubbers, and another I picked up from the junker.  I used 6 inch stainless hose clamps to secure it to the = mounts, and bolted the mount up through the rear floor just ahead of the engine access.  So it is rock solid but still uses the rubber vibration isolators.  I got a reducer down to 4 in pipe for the outlet and an = elbow from a heating supply and the mounting is that after the duct takes the = 90 from the heater and passes through the firewall, a flexible duct runs along = the roadside side of the existing rear heater box. The bimetal heater = regulator is mounted in the flex pipe just before the outlet.  I also mounted = the electronics from the heater to that space inside as well to allow access = and troubleshooting/reset.  There is no access to the Heater once = installed without removal.  The glow plug can only be gotten to though, with = a lot of twisting and swearing, but it is possible.  The heater inlet uses = the original plastic duct and I cut through the firewall again for it.  = That hole ends up in the middle between the heater box and the curbside wall. = Exhaust originally went out the roadside but have since moved it to the curbside = due to the pipe length issue and sooting.  I plan on moving it back as I understand a little more about the heater and adjusting the fuel to = prevent soot, and besides it really stinks every time one opens the sliding = door.  I use a programmable thermostat for temp control.  (great for those = cold Canadian winters when I can program it to heat the van just before the commute!).  I also installed a relay that will turn the heater OFF = once the van engine is started since there is the coolant heater then.  I = also installed a deep cycle camper battery to power it, with the charging = circuit as per the Bentley book.   The battery is currently under the = rear seat but I plan to move it to the back of the closet since that is not always = used space and vent it out to the roadside.

I've used it for a couple winter adventures and it = kept the van very comfortable. It was not an easy install but I think it has been = really worth it!

Cheers

Jim Thomasson
'85 Westy, Calgary Canada