DRL (Dometic = Repair Log) Ha! Got ya!

OOOO-WHEEEE! Talk = about raising people's blood pressure! The next time the subject of DRL comes up, = ensure you have a qualified medical nurse by your side! Let's add DRL to the list = of taboo subjects (politics and religion).

Anyway, I really do = have some Dometic info...after pulling my fridge for the first time this summer I = found lots of interesting stuff. The exhaust outlet pipe had a small hole = corroded through it (fixed that with aluminum muffler tape; a new outlet pipe is = $55 CDN); the thermo-switch for the fan was loose (applied some thermo = conductivity goop and tightened the switch down); the thermostat sensor wire was = wiggling loose (yes, actually wiggling) where it enters the fridge at = the back (cleaned away the old caulking and applied fresh silicone for a firm = seal); adjusted the flame viewing tube so the flame is more easily seen through = the sight hole inside the fridge; cleaned combustion chamber (replaced torn = gasket); general cleaning (fridge was covered in spots with sandblasting grit = resulting from the vehicle being repainted last year) and tightened numerous = screws and bolts which had loosened over the years.

The most interesting = find was seeing four holes in the bottom of the combustion chamber. These had = apparently been drilled by someone during previous fridge service calls. There also = were three flat metal washers rattling around on the bottom of the combustion = chamber. I called Dometic service who informed me that the holes should not be there...it's supposed to be a sealed system. = Calling a local Dometic dealer, I learned that the combustion chamber is no longer = available (probably a detrimental side affect of DRL ;>) I think), so = I had the holes welded closed.

In removing the fridge, I noticed the = mounting screws for the fridge and the cabinet face plate were not all the same. = During previous fridge service calls, some so-called professional had probably = lost the original screws and replaced them with generic screws.  I cannot = locate a supplier for the original screws (tried VW dealers, various local RV = dealers, hardware stores and van conversion shops).

I also removed a portion of the = fibreglass wall insulation that was touching the floor behind the cabinets to avoid = floor rust behind the cabinet.  This was brought to light in a previous = posting by another listee, who shall remain nameless since I don't remember who it = was. Thanks anyways!

I also replaced the screws for the = exterior camping accessory covers with stainless steel screws. It's beyond me why = a manufacurer would not use stainless steel hardware for exterior = applications. It's not like stainless steel hardware cost a fortune. Cost me about $1.50.

Re-installed the fridge then discovered the propane tank valve = was leaking! Cost a few Canadian pesos to replace that.

So, boys and girls, it pays to remove = that technological cooling marvel to see what the spirits have been doing = back there.

By the way, the fridge works. (It did = before so what's the problem?)

Oh, just one more thing....My spell = checker flags 'DOMETIC' and suggests 'DOGMATIC' as a replacement. The definition of = dogmatic is "characterized by an authoritative, arrogant assertion of = unproved or unprovable principles." Just one more way to say = Dometic.

Roy O.
'87 Westfalia (till death us do part)
DRL rule! = ;>)