Chris:

        Sounds like you have a marvelous machine there.  Did you
send a rod through the side of the block?  Generally the engines
are rebuildable; I've done many a one myself, by boring to the
next larger piston size and re-ringing and re-bearing the beast.

         The easiest way I have found to take out the engine is to
put a long board athartships (paralleling the rear bumper) under
the oil pan to protect it, then a jack under the board in a place
where the engine will not list to port or starboard when you have
all the motor and transmission weight on the jack. Unbolt the
black pipes that support the motor. Should be four M12 x 125mm
or thereabouts. The engine mounting arms are fastened to these
pipes but leave all that connected. Lower away, with the engine
and trans still bolted together. It all will pivot around the transmission
forward mounting bolt, down to the ground nicely. Then you can
unbolt the tranny from the engine and slide the engine away.

        A useful publication that I bought in England is one of the Peter
Russek Manuals called the "Volkswagen Transporter"  It covers the
Volkswagen Transporter, Type 2 - Kombi, Station Wagon, Camper,
Caravelle, Pick-up, Mini-Bus, etc., Diesel and Turbo-diesel engines
1600 cc since introduction. (1979)  The address is:
                        Peter Russek Publications Limited
                        Little Stone House, High Street
                        Marlow, Bucks, England
Seems to me it only cost about C$5.00 or so about five years ago.
I'd be willing to photo copy mine for you and courier it over, if you
can't get a copy quickly from the UK.

        The best way to tweak the 1600 is to replace it with a 1900!!!
At least you have a five speed in your caravelle, don't you? I have
towed another Vanagon behind me in my van, which is testimony
to the power of the little beast, but I'd still like a few more horse
power.

        If you need any parts, such as new gasket, new head bolts,
new v-belts, complete motor gasket and seal set, etc let me know.
If  Norway prices are similar to France prices, the sky is the limit,
so to speak.

        You will love that beast but remember, you won't be able to
bring it back to Canada with you.........: (

Gary Meek
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

82 Vanagon GL, 1,6 litre TD
83 Quantum GL, 1.6 litre TD  (in Europe, the "Passat")