-----Original Message-----
From: = Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>
To: = KBatzler <KBatzler@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
= Date: Saturday, October 10, 1998 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: 84 Vanagon = A/C

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 16:42:12 -0700 you said:
>My = question of the day (and I will have many soon) is when I am
>using my a/c on = a very hot day (we get many days over 115F for=20
>three months), the = compressor clutch comes on with the thermostat.
>but when the raditor fan = goes into high speed, it cuts out the =
>compressor
>until the low = speed resumes again.  This can be very frustrating as=20
You said:
there is a HIGH = pressure switch on your compressor somewhere ...it's
likely failing, or the = pressure really is getting too high (which means
that something down the line = from the switch is restricting the flow ...
like the expansion valve has = died). anyway, that switch cuts the compressor
OFF if the pressure in the = system gets too high. that sounds kinda like
what you're describing. :(

>the inside of the van will reach 100F in no time = flat!  I can find ab-

tint, tint, tint!!!! :) and also put about 8" of = tint across the top of the
windshield (one piece won't work ... it = crinkles. you'll have to make two
pieces that meet in the middle, behind the = rearview mirror). this REALLY
helps give you some "sunglasses" when = you are driving INTO the sun, like
early in the morning or late in the = afternoon. :)

good luck!!
joel

You may be right about the TX valve, but I traced every inch of the = line and I can't find any pressure switches ( I think that the later models = do have switches at the condenser.  I also hear a buzzing noise when the = compressor is running (coming form the condenser) could there be a block?  The = hotter it gets, the louder the noise is.  I live in the Palm Springs area = and it gets damn hot here.  When I go to work, my poor bus has to = sit in the sun all day... by the time I go home, it's blistering in there ( and = opening the windows for venting is useless because at 5pm it's still over 110F outside).
Any Ideas?
Thanks for the = advice.
Karl
BTW: I bought the van with the windows nicely tinted, thanks