Sounds like you might be leaking from one of the hoses leading to the expansion = tank.  Right now I am having a similar problem as it appears that = my mechanic did not have his Wheaties for breakfast when he put a new = expansion tank in my van 2 weeks ago.  I can see the coolant leaking from one = of the connections.

John Lauterbach
-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:Vanagon@vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Judith Barr/Leo Girard
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 1998 9:40 = PM
To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Subject: Help with coolant leak/85 Vanagon

Hi all
This is one of = those "I should've been paying closer attention when..." = questions.
The tell tale smell = of coolant and drips under the van/ centre rear/ lead me (paranoically?) to = believe that perhaps the infamous head gasket leak is starting.
Parallel to the = rear (licence plate) wall, sort of above the line of the muffler there are signs = of liquid dripping from the engine along a metal shoulder secured by a line of = bolts. Never having been in there before and not having a Haynes or = Bentley, I trust (fear) that this is where the heads are located. This vehicle = had its heads planed about 4000 mi ago. Could (should) the heads be leaking = so soon?
Hoping that someone = can tell me if I'm on the right track or if some other prognosis is possible.
Thanks
Leo
Meaford ON