-----Original = Message-----
From: Michael Sullivan Subject: Re: Wankels

Evidently you haven't driven in the mountains with your Vanagon! = The stock engine is woefully inadequate for slowing our vans down on those long = steep grades -- it will go past redline easily (no matter what gear you put = it in), necessitating WAY TOO MUCH brake usage, resulting in RED HOT brake = rotors in a matter of minutes.
Ditto!
That's why they call them the Smokey Mountains on the East Coast.... at the = bottom of the grade in Cherokee N.C. you'll see signs everywhere that say = "We do Brake Jobs" all along the mountain roads are runaway truck = Ramps.... basically soft sand pits to plant your non-stoppable vehicle into...if = you are going to get a wankel and drive in the mountains... you might also = want to upgrade to oversized ventilated disc brakes all around.... has anybody = ever heard of water cooled brakes?...have you ever seen how the brakes GLOW = at night on those 24hr Serbling races?...I've smoked more than my share:^)
Rob
87 Westy SyncroGL.....Cynosure (slip&drip)
rountree@planeteer.com