I bought my 87 transporter camper = from a dealer here in Germany in Sep.  Fantastic, packed the family in and headed = south for Italy.  Superb, can't get any better.  Then, the = thermostat dies taking the water pump with it.  With those replaced it's back to = the holiday, when 8km from Venice the head gasket goes.  We didn't get = to see Venice.  Anyway since the replacements have been fitted the van = hasn't been the same coughing up black /blue and grey smoke on start up.  Which = takes longer now than usual.  Could it be the timing isn't set = properly?  Or pistons or rings?  Please could someone give me a clue.  If I = put it in the garage it'll cost me the earth just to find out the = problem.  I'm no mechanic, but I'll have a go.  Thanks in advance.

P.S..  My kids miss their van, so do I.