Howdy to all you folks in = Vanagonland.
I just been reading my newly acquired and ever so = famous Bentley Manual, and I noticed a rather unusual statement on = page 90.30.  It says:
"As of May 1983 the existing regualtions (FMVSS = 127) concerning vehicle speed indication were cancelled by the DOT (probably = the 85mph standard with the red mark at 55mph). Starting May 1993, the only requirement is that the vehicles' speedometer indicate a higher speed = than is acturlly being driven."  The statement makes mention to the = effect of +basic tolerance of 6.2mph and +5% of Actual.
In the example given at 50mph the speedo is actually = reading 58.7mph.
(This only seems to apply to 84 and 85 moldels made = through 12/84.)
Does all this mean that I can actually drive 79.7mph = on I-10 (posted at 70) and not get in any trouble?
Is there any way to fix this error (say recalibrate) = ?
What do you all think?
Karl Batzler
La Quinta, CA