Hi,

I was trying to get the reverse = lights to work on my '90 Carat, 4-spd manual.  I checked the bulbs and the fuse, = and they were ok.  I removed the reverse switch to check it with my meter, = and sure enough, it was intermittent.  I used the trusty can of electrical = contact cleaner and got it working reliable again -- on the meter.  It = still doesn't work on the van.  Could whatever that is in the = transmission that hits the plunger switch be broken?  That sounds = expensive.

Anway, while I had the reverse light = switch removed, I noticed that it looked like an oil plug.  I had been = considering adding some gear oil because it always grinds into all of the gears when = cold, sometimes 2nd doesn't engage even when you pull it into the gate -- you = have to give it an extra tug to get into 2nd, the area where the linkage goes = into the case is soaked and dripping with oil.  (All of this on a = remanufactured transmission that isn't even 2 years old!).  Anyway, the book said = this thing holds 3 quarts.  I bought 2 quarts of Mobil 1 75-90 synthetic = gear oil -- and put them both in!!  I assumed that I would top it off = with a little bit, but not 2 quarts!  Therefore my questions = are:
1:  Is the reverse light switch = hole the place to add the oil?
2:  Was I supposed to drain the = old and measure the new?  On my other cars, I just top it off until I can't = get any more in.  No measuring required.
3:  How bad is it supposed to = leak around the linkage gasket?  Could I have really been more than 2/3 of the = way empty?  I assume that if I overfilled it, the excess will come out = of this leak.  I just hope it doesn't come out into the = clutch!

Thanks very much,

Michael Townsend
townsend@rtp.ericsson.se