= Volks,
My = 89 GL Westy had the 4spd replaced with a = rebuilt older transmission (I believe the = PO said it was from an earlier 80s model. = Something about those trannys being more = reliable, he said.) He also told me that = he spent a bunch of time with the Bentley = adjusting it. Well, there are a couple = of things about it that concern me. As a = newbie who's still trying to figure out = where all the various pieces are, I'm hesitant = to dive into this one. I'm going to take = it to my local independent VW mechanic who's = highly competent but who hasn't worked with = a lot of these (we just don't have many = of them around for him to work on). Anyway, = the transmission whines through the shift = lever (you can hear it in the cabin through = the shift lever). It whines on acceleration = and deceleration but you can make it quiet = down when there's no load on the motor. = The shift pattern is also weird. 1st and = 2nd don't line up vertically. 2nd is definitely = more to the left. Getting into reverse = is kind of a spongy push down and over. = 3rd and 4th seem to be ok but nothing really = "locks", its all kinda spongy. = Any suggestions I should take with me to = my mechanic?
TIA
Jim Fritz
91 Passat = Wagon GL
89 Westy