I don't know how bad the rust spot is = (a pin hole can lead to a good drip) but you can have the tank sand = blasted, painted, and then coated on the inside with some sort of = plastic composite.  My brother did this in his '78.  If you = wasn't more info let me know and I'll ask him the details.

-----Original = Message-----
From:   norbert froese = [mailto:nfroese@INTERCHANGE.UB= C.CA]
Sent:   Friday, October 30, 1998 2:32 PM
To:     vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Subject:       = after market fuel tank

I need to replace the fuel tank in my = '84. (Was hoping that replacing the
seals would do the trick but leak is = from rusted through area).

I have prices from two local = suppliers.  Bow Wow has one for $322(Can).
California imports can order one they = say is made in Brazil for $203(Can).

Has anyone had any bad experiences = with inexpensive replacement fuel tanks?

Thanks in advance.

Norbert Froese
Vancouver, B.C.
84 Westfalia