I've got a couple questions here = about my 85 GL's transaxle.  I may be looking into rebuilding my tranny in the = next year or so, and my only indication is that it tends to crunch, grind, or = thunk into second gear, and some times I almost have to force it into = second.  Other times it works perfect.  It usually does this when cold, but = even after it has had a chance to warm the tranny fluid, it will still grind = in every now and then.  How easy is it for somebody to rebuild this = transaxle?  Do I need a Bently or a Haynes to do this?  If so, where can I buy one?  I do have a bit of wrench turning experience on marine = diesels.  How much am I looking at for a typical rebuild?  Also, I think that = I am still running the factory clutch @ 130k mi (still seems strong though, = no creep with the clutch pedal down, and no slippage with my foot off of the clutch).  How many miles can one expect out of these, and how much = to replace/ rebuild one of these?  Any tips?  I was also thinking = that if I was to rebuild the tranny, why not throw a locker out of a Synchro = into my diff.  Can this be done?  Even though my van is 2wd, I still = like going off road.
    In the more short = term, I am thinking of installing a set of headers from S&S and their turbo muffler.  How can I get a hold of them, like email or = webpage?

TIA

-Aaron Mckay
          &nbs= p;            = ;          mckayaa@oit.edu
   =             &= nbsp;           &n= bsp;     college student in mechanical
          &nbs= p;            = ;          engineering at Oregon Institute of Technology
          = ;            =            '85 vanagon GL

PS: This old girl of mine has left = me stranded three times since I bought it from the original owner just over a year = ago (blown water hose, bad half shaft, battery problems).  I lucked out = all three times, because I was just a few miles from home.  Now that my = commute home is 266 mi, I don't look forward to that happening again, so I am = starting to subscribe to the preventative maitenence philosophy.