Re: Matthew Pollard's downshifting into 2n   11/2/98

Volks,
I = posted a question about the "whine" = in my transmission under both acceleration = and decceleration (sp?) a week or two ago. = I have since taken it to my mechanic who = "tweaked it" and basically greased = the linkages. Everything seems to work = smoother now and the "whine" is = less noticeable. He told me he thought = I was just hearing noise being transferred = from the gearbox through the linkage and = up into my shift handle. Does this sound = feasible or am looking at a similar problem = to what Todd posted below? Does anybody = else's 4 spd make these kind of noises? = I could live with it if I knew it was nothing = to worry about. BTW, you can feel it in = the shifter too.
TIA
Jim
91 Passat = Wagon GL
89 Westy