A law officer would have to have = probable cause to search your vehicle, such as alcohol on your breath = or your smelling like MJ , etc.  If you have not drunk anything = before driving, you should not have a problem as long as the alcohol is = closed/capped and stored out of reach/sight of the = driver/passengers.  This is no different than having a half empty = bottle of wine in a bag in the back seat or trunk area.  If you = have not been drinking then you have nothing to worry about = (breathalyzer would be neg.).  Best advice is not to drink and = drive-drink and sleep in your van/westy!

Also word of warning-I heard that in = Ontario, CA., police can search your car without probable cause.  = Let me know if I'm wrong.

-----Original = Message-----
From:   Eric Pickering = [mailto:mv_54@OMALP1.OMERES= A.OHIO.GOV]
Sent:   Wednesday, November 04, 1998 10:35 PM
To:     vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Subject:       = Open container (alcohol) law & = the Westy????

Question:
        How does law = read regarding open containers in Westfalias?  I mean, not
cruising down the road holding a beer = bottle, but a corked bottle of
wine or Jack Daniel's finest in one = of the back cabinets!  I know common
sense would say that is fine but a = nosey police officer and a poorly
written law could get you/me in = trouble.  Any lawers or officers of the
law out there that can give me some = insight?  I'm in Ohio if location
matters (but travel all over).

Thanks,
Eric

P.S. I don't receive the list right = now so please respond to it and me
directly!