Hi Michael,
    When my 86 drips = coolant from the oil filter it has been the water pump both times.  If you get = in the right position you can see the pump drain / weep hole. There should be = no coolant stains around it.
Darrell

-----Original = Message-----
From: Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>=
To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM = <vanagon@VANAGON.COM>
Dat= e: Friday, November 06, 1998 8:13 AM
Subject: = Wasserleaker Club

Well,

It looks like I might now be a = jug-toting member of the Wasserleaker club.  :-(

I bought my 90 Carat with 125K = miles (plus however many more they put on because the odometer was broken) last September while it was still hot.  I have been holding my = breath as the weather turned colder because the DPO had never heard of coolant = changes, and there were some dry greenish stains around the head = gasket.  The weather got down to the 30's for the first time last night, and = there was a little coin sized present on the concrete floor this morning.  = There was even some coolant drops clinging to the oil filter, so I am = hoping that maybe I only have to replace the oil / water heat exchanger.  = However, I am getting this ill feeling in my stomach that the heads are on = their way out, and I need to know:

How much time do I = have?
How much will it = cost?

Thanks,
Michael Townsend