I recently acquired an 89 vanagon camper, and I wanted = to add some fog and driving lights.  After spending a lot of time looking = on the internet, I decided to get a set of Hella XL auxillary low beam = lights.  These lights seem to be pretty unique in that they were not = "high-beam only" lights that I wouldn't have been able to use most of the time = where I drive, and they were also not "fog light only" lights that = also could only be used some of the time.  These lights work with your low = beam lights and can be kept on at all times.  They do a good job of adding a = noticeable amount of additional light and they don't seem to bother other = drivers.  They were somewhat of a pain to install since I found I had to take off = the front spoiler and bumper to completely hid the wires (only necessary if = you are picky) and the battery is not in the easiest place to get to.  I've = ordered the factory VW fog light switch ($17) to finalize this project, although = the switch that came with the light set works and looks fine.  I would recommend these lights to anyone who wants to see better at night and = that wants additional lighting that they can actually use all of the time.  I = haven't tried these in fog yet, but the low and wide pattern is supposed to be = similar to what you would get with a dedicated fog light.  These lights are = actually cheaper than adding a decent set of both fog and driver lights, = or a good set of combo fog/driving lights.  A description of these = lights can be found at http://www.macneilauto.com/= Hella.htm .  These lights range from $120 to $200 or more on the web.  I = ordered from http://www.savannajones.c= om/hella1.htm ($120) and got the lights in under a week.  They are not kidding = about the 100% improvement.  Good support from Hella's USA office also.  = I had a question about the switch and called them.  They ended up = fed-ex'ing me a replacement switch (not needed, the original was fine) the next day at = no charge.

CaveRat

'89 Vanagon GL Camper = (caveinn)