I'm in the process of partially = rebuilding my '84 GL's engine with 185k on it (partial cause I'm not splitting the = case). 3 or 4 of the head studs have some pitting. Does anyone have recommendations = on replacing them? If they should be replaced, is there anything I should = know before I start fooling with them, like special procedures to remove them = etc.?

I'm replacing the heads due to = corrosion and cracks, but I did get 180k before any major leak problems showed up. = This is a van that's been driven very hard for 14 years (95-100mph for extended = periods, hard city driving, logging/fire trails in Canada, etc.) and the only = major problem area for me has been transaxles (I'm on my third).

As I've torn down the engine, I've = been measuring the parts for wear. Every moving part I've checked has been = *well* within the tolerances listed in the manual. I feel a lot of credit has = to go to the Mobil One oil I've been using for the last 13 years. Oil usage is negligible. I change the stuff every year or so, or around 25,000 miles. = The filter gets changed at every 6k. I've been using Mobil One since around = 1973, and I've never had any vehicle burn oil. This is the first real = confirmation I've had though that it really does work well. I hope someone else out = can benefit from my experience with it.

Cliff Ober