Hi Vanagoneers!
Like the rest of you I´ve = taken great interest in the crash-test photos, having somwhere deep hidden a vauge = idea that I´ve heard it before and looking at the pic´s unzipped my memory!
The test was initiated by a guy who = thinks of himself as the "swedish Ralph Nader".
The whole idea was to disencourage = the inreasing swedish family interest in "mini-vans" as a family car and = point people towards large estate - wagons instead.
The general idea wasn´t ALL = bad since japanese minivans as well as the early VW buses were really weak up = front, wich resulted in horrifying leg injuries,especially when hitting a = hard vehicle like the Volvo !
(FYI  the crash testers = separates hard and soft cars, based on weather the car has a rigid outer structure and demolishes the object it crashes into without much traces = on itself or if it crumbels wich by todays standards are the better since = it puts less G-force on the passengers.)
Anyway, this guy decided to give the = people a lession so he ordered a test crash, picking what he thought of as the = perfect example, a really hard, domestic, well reputated safety-first car : The = Volvo 745 and an infamous soft highrisk car as the VW bus, overlooking the = fact that with the change from Kleinbus to Vanagon, the VW had really reinforced = the body with the radiatorframe, the sparewheel and all the beams underneath the = front bumper.
With the two hard cars going head = on, the result was like when a boat goes too fast into the shore, the Vanagon climbed = up on top of the Volvo, and nearly shaved the roof off !!
A disaster for the would like to = be Ralph Nader who dropped off , blushing, with his tail between his legs!!!!
The question is what would have = happened with a softer opponent :-?
I guess nobody´ll ever  = know BUT from an accident a couple of years ago outside my home town when a Rabbit did = send a totalled Vanagon pickup sliding on its side down into a ditch and with = the driver of the Rabbit being uninjured in spite of a head on collision my = attitude has been that WHAT EVER CAR YOU`RE IN,AVOID CLOSE CONTACT , wich = could also do as a bumper sticker  ;-)
Drive safe.......
Calle
-88 Vanagon
Mullhyttan, Sweden