Hi I have a 75 Beetle a 79 Type 2 = and an 87 Syncro, plus I live in Norway with plenty of ice and snow to put these = great machines to the test!
a) The beetle is a great fun drive = in the winter, and VERY capable on snow and ice, but you have to enjoy = controlling tail slides (I do) When you lose it in a beetle it is small enough (and smart = enough) to get back into shape pretty quickly, but watch out for deep = snow!
b) Type two camper mostly summer = use, but much better than a standard vanagon in snow and ice IMHO
c)Syncro superb, end of story, buy = one if you can, theyre beautiful machines...
Hope this helps! Dave Perry, Norway