20w50 oil would be fine for the winter if outside low temps don't = often get below 15-20 F and/or the van is garaged.  I did that last year = during an El Nino unusually warm winter in MN.

You didn't mention where in the NE you are.  I know that from = the perspective of San Diego, it all seems the same, but there are really = some significant weather (and other) differences.  If you are in far = northern Maine or Vermont, for instance, the climate is much harsher (it builds character) than in Boston.

I am using Castro synthetic 5w50 for Minneapolis winters, which are = typically on a par with those in northern New England.

Fellow Listees from Alaska or northern Canada can offer some useful = advice.  BTW, do we have any Listees from ND or Montana?  = (Sorry, Joel, I have already deleted the last weekly statz.)

Budd Premack
86 Syncro, = 73 Super
Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky-Blue = Waters)