Hi Vannagonners!
Gee, I hope I´m not stirring = up a hornets nest here by asking this question but after all those letters on the = subject everything completely died and living on the other side of the world I don´t see or hear about US legislations that much soit would just = be nice to be able to follow the thread to an end:-)
Part of the interest comes out of = the fact that we had the same discussions in Sweden in the  early seventies with = a DRL - law formed in -74 or -75.
It still amuses me as much to recall all the anti- = sides arguments, you wouldn´t see pedestrians or bicykle riders so there = would be an increase in those accidents, the car batteries lifespan would be shortened, one guy even estimated how many millions of gallons of gas - = and thereby pollution - this would add every year!
And since this was in those days when we still drove = 6V cars with DC generators the "mecanics" side won half a victory when = the government decided that " to begin with it´s OK to drive with = 21w bulbs in aproved lights with yellow lenses pointing forward" wich = led to a boom of crappy lights made out of cromed PVC !
A year later the politicians had decided that " = you should have your taillights on too " wich made the aftermarket even = welthier selling relays and wire- harnessesfor a year or so until the politicicians frankly decided : low beams day and night.
so now every FLAPS sells "don´t forget buzzers" or "low beam relay kits".
Myself I think the idea is good, you spot cars a lot = better even at broad daylight - specially with the sun in your face its perfect!
Here comes the Vannagon part!
Beceause of us having this law since the mid = seventies every Swedish vanagon is equipped with what I believe to be an improvement of = the Gov. idea, with the lightswich in OFF mode and the ignition on , = current is feeded to the low beam through a resistor, taking the voltage down = slightly and thereby extending the life of the bulbs.
IF you have got the DRL-law, or if youré = interested anyway, Í could try to get a copy of the wiring diagram with the = part no.s and put it on my website.
I also want to wish you all a Happy new = year!
Calle
-88 Vanagon
Mullhyttan Sweden